The Executive Committee of The Credit Hire Organisatio adopted the following code of conduct in 2014.
The Credit Hire Organisation Limited Code of Conduct (the “Code”).
- Abide by the Code.
- Conduct their businesses in accordance with applicable laws and regulations to which they are subject.
- Act with integrity and behave in a way that maintains public confidence in the services credit hire companies provide.
- Run their businesses effectively and in accordance with proper governance and sound financial and risk management principals.
- Where relevant, take appropriate steps to protect any client money they may handle (eg customer insurance excesses).
- Acknowledge that credit hire companies, and their referral partners, may be the target of fraud and take appropriate steps to satisfy themselves that each claim is genuine.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure that customers understand the nature of the services they provide and respond to customer queries in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Treat all customers fairly.
- Ensure that the hire vehicles provided to customers are insured, safe, roadworthy and have been adequately maintained.
- Submit claims to insurers only after consideration that:
- The claim is genuine.
- The circumstances of the accident justified the hire of a replacement vehicle.
- The customer needed a replacement vehicle.
- The type of vehicle provided or claimed for is reasonable given the circumstances and the law.
- The length of hire is reasonable given the circumstances and the law.
- The amount claimed is reasonable given the circumstances and the law.
- Ensure their employees are adequately trained and that a specific person or group of people is responsible for keeping policies, procedures and documentation compliant with good practice, the law or any other regulation to which their business is subject.
- Keep customers informed as to the progress of the settlement of claims and provide appropriate support to customers (including, where relevant, facilitating access to legal advice) if claims are disputed.
The Executive Committee of The Credit Hire Organisation can determine compliance with the Code, and may suspend or terminate any member’s membership of the The Credit Hire Organisation if it believes that any member has breached the Code or brought the integrity of the The Credit Hire Organisation into disrepute. Members agree to and accept this process of determination. Where membership is suspended or terminated, members will be notified of such and accept that there will be no refund of subscriptions and that following suspension or termination of their membership, they are not able to use the The Credit Hire Organisation logos or use any documentation which purports them to be a member of the The Credit Hire Organisation.